Mala are not just accessories. They are useful meditation tools which have been around for thousands of years. Mala help us breathe, take a moment, and connect with our intentions. Mala help us concentrate on our self-care and compassion. Mala are also beautiful, and choosing the right one for you is important. It can be difficult to choose one, but focusing on intention is a great way find your perfect Mala.
What Mala Are
Mala are strands of 108 beads. They are generally used to enhance your meditation practice and help you focus. Mala typically represent something different to everyone. They are useful tools for meditation and they inspire us. There is no wrong mala for you, but choosing the best one just means asking yourself a few key questions.
1. Look to the mala you are drawn to. Often the mala you are drawn to is the perfect choice for you, as the Mala may be calling out to you. If you do find yourself drawn to one particular mala, do your homework and see what that particular one represents. See if that is what you need right now.
2. Think of your intention. What are you trying to manifest? What do you want? Each mala carries its own intention; its own healing qualities. Find that one that aligns with yours.
3. Figure out how you will use your beads. Are you looking for a reminder of your intentions or beads to use during meditation? This answer can help you decide on the right mala beads.
Types of Mala Beads
There are all kinds of mala: they can be made of seeds, wood, bones or gemstones. Here are some malas and their properties:
- Root Chakras will benefit your sense of grounding, security, intuition and survival. If this calls to you, look red and black stones like hematite, onyx, black obsidian or bloodstone and garnet. These malas can bring you peace and energy and relieve stress and anxiety.
- A Sacral Chakra will help enhance your sexuality and your creativity. These stones should be orange like the fire opal. These mala beads will help improve your health and help you deal with any anger issues.
- The Solar Plexus chakra is all about power and protection. Yellow stones like citrine will help you focus.
- Your Heart Chakra is, of course, one which is associated with love. These mala beads will improve your emotional balance. Choose pink stones such as rose quartz or green stones like emerald. These mala beads help you enhance compassion and love yourself and others.
- The Throat Chakra improves communication. Choose blue stones like turquoise or aquamarine. These mala help you build confidence.
- Your Third Eye helps you develop your initiation and spiritual awareness. Dark blue stones like lapis luzi are good choices; they will help you with clarity and insight.
- For your Crown Chakra, choose purple or white stones. These will help you with patience and self-awareness. These stones promote physical and emotional balance.
How to Use Your Mala
Many people have questions about using their mala. Tradition says you hold the mala in your right hand with your thumb moving from one bead to the next. But this is just a suggestion; it is really up to you.
Make sure to begin in a quiet, comfortable place. Sit with legs crossed and upper body engaged (or lie down if sitting is not comfortable).
Breathe in and begin focus your attention on mantra or your intention. Once you are focused, begin to use your mala. Turn your finger clockwise around each bead, pushing the bead away and then moving on to the next in turn. Once you come to the end, you can begin again or go in reverse.
Use your mala daily or as necessary when you need a bit of peace of mind.