Meditation is a staple in the lives of most yogis. When you are new to the yoga game however, it is hard to get a grasp of how to properly meditate. Here, you can find our guide to reap all of the benefits meditation has to offer.
What is Meditation
According to dictionary.com, Meditation is "a written or spoken discourse expressing considered thoughts on a subject." In other words, people use meditation to calm their bodies. Meditation can help put you in a soothing state of mind, and can help you look into your innermost self. The practice of meditation can be done on its own (any time of the day and at any frequency), before practicing yoga, or after practicing yoga.
How to Properly Meditate
There are countless videos on YouTube, Netflix, and many other streaming services that offer guided meditations that you can listen along to during your first few meditation sessions. If a non-guided, silent meditation is what you desire however, then follow the steps below to achieve the perfect self-guided meditation.
- Get comfortable. Always make sure you are in a comfortable position, in an area where you will be free from distractions for an allotted amount of time. Close your eyes and begin to notice your breathing.
- Focus on your breath. Feel where your breath is coming from. Let yourself feel the earth beneath you, and feel every second of each breath you are taking.
- Try to stay focused. It is easy for your mind to get distracted and veer off course. When this happens, just direct your attention back to your breathing.
- End with a positive affirmation. End your meditation session by opening your eyes and noticing all of the liveliness around you.
Benefits of Meditation
There are many benefits of Meditation. Below, you can find the most important benefits, taken from www.60secondsofsolitude.com.
- Enhances the body’s immune system.
- Produces more serotonin.
- Reduces stress, aging, and blood pressure. sleeping habits, so you can sleep deeper and longer.
- Helps reduce substance abuse, helps weight loss, and helps lessen inflammatory disorders and asthma.
Props for Better Meditation
There are many props available on our website that will aid you in your meditation journey. Our favorites include:
- Meditation Cushions - Perfect for when you do not want to sit on the ground. Cushions help raise your hips for cross-legged sitting positions. We have all different kinds of Zafus and Zabutons available on our site: Best Yoga Props: Zafus Cushions, Zafu Pillows and Zabuton Cushions: Yoga Accessories
- Meditation Chairs and Benches - If you are interested in meditating for a longer period of time, a meditation chair or bench is a great option. Each will help keep you stable while off the ground and provide back support for elongated practices. The Best Yoga Chairs and Meditation Benches for your Yoga Practice
- Eye Pillows - If you are someone who needs complete darkness to stay focused, a good quality eye pillow is something you should invest in. Eye pillows lay over your eyes to block out all distractions while you are meditating. We even offer eye pillows that are lavender scented, to soothe your mind even further! Yoga Eye Pillows: Silk Yoga Eye Pillow & Cotton Yoga Eye Pillow | Yoga Accessories
- Singing Bowls - Singing Bowls produce a beautiful harmonic sound to keep the mind and body relaxed and on track during your meditation practice. These are not only used to promote meditation, but also personal well being. The Best Singing Bowls and Tibetan Singing Bowls for Singing Bowl Meditation